Snake Plants and Dogs:  A Toxic Combination? What Pet Owners Need to Know 

 May 26th , 2024

Team LTG

Snake plants are popular houseplants, but are they safe for our furry friends? Let's find out! 

Snake plants contain saponins, toxic compounds that can cause gastrointestinal upset in dogs if ingested.

Yes, Snake Plants Are Toxic to Dogs

Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, loss of appetite, lethargy.

Symptoms of Snake Plant Poisoning in Dogs

Contact your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested any part of a snake plant. 

What to Do If Your Dog Eats a Snake Plant

Even small amounts can cause mild symptoms. Larger amounts can lead to more severe reactions and even blood cell damage. 

How Much Snake Plant Is Toxic to Dogs?

Keep snake plants out of reach of dogs. Place them on high shelves or in hanging baskets. 

Prevention is Key

If you have a dog, consider pet-friendly plants like spider plants, African violets, or Boston ferns. 

Alternative Plants for Pet Owners

Most cases of snake plant poisoning in dogs are mild. Prompt veterinary care ensures a good prognosis. 

Don't Panic!